What do I look for when purchasing a reptile?
DoLittle Farm wants you to enjoy your reptile keeping experience. In order for you to
start on the right foot, here is a checklist to use when purchasing your reptile or frog.
- Is the supplier licensed, and do I get a written receipt?
- Is the supplier of good reputation? What do other people say about them?
- Does the supplier provide you with after sales service and advice?
- Does the animal come with a Health Guarantee?
- Does the animal come with a Vet Certificate?
- Is the animal bright and alert?
- Is the body clean of wounds or other marks?
- Does the animal have good muscle tone?
- If a python, are the eyes nice and clear and is the tongue forked while poking in and out?
- If a lizard, does the animal move around freely, holding its head up higher than its body, and does it have all of its toes?
- If a turtle, does it swim freely and is its shell reasonably hard?
- If a frog, is it sitting happily, hands tucked under its chin, with moist appearing skin?
- Does the animal feed with you present, or come with a satisfactory feeding record.
- Does the animal come with a birth date and other origin information?
- Do you feel comfortable with your purchase?