Storage and Transport Recommendations for Live Insects (LI)
- LI should be stored or housed in containers large enough for them to spread out, exercise, and feed easily. Areas for LI to hide (such as egg cartons) are a must.
- LI should be stored in easily cleaned and disinfected cages or cages that are easily discarded. Ensure you use disinfectants that are safe for insects.
- LI should be housed away from household chemicals and cleaners
- LI should be housed away from personal aerosols (eg hairspray, deodorant etc)
- LI should be housed away from temperature extremes. About 20-25C is usually good for most insects.
- LI should have fresh food and water available to them at all times.
- LI should be transported away from temperature extremes. In both summer and winter, it may be advisable to transport your insects from place of purchase to home using an esky, cooler bag or similar.
- LI should be purchased as soon as possible after arriving at your retailer. This ensures you know how old and fresh they are.