Storage and Transport Recommendations for Frozen Rats and Mice (FRM)
- FRM should be stored in freezers below -18C.
- FRM should be stored inside ziplocked plastic bags whilst in a freezer to minimise dehydration (freezer burn). Ensure bags are resealed each time you feed.
- The contents of a bag of FRM should be used within approx. 8 weeks of opening to minimise tainting of the feed by other items in the freezer (eg. mice that smell like icecream!...and icecream that smells like mice!)
- FRM have a freezer life (unopened) of well over 12 months.
- FRM should be stored with their bag labels in place.
- FRM should be transported wherever possible by electronic freezing (mobile freezer).
- Where mobile freezers are not suitable, a cooler bag or esky with Dry Ice (-78C) or 'ice bricks' should be used. Ice bricks are only suitable for up to 2 hrs.
- FRM should be transported directly from place of purchase to your home. Avoid unnecessary stops.
- Handle FRM as little as possible, as heat from your hands can start thawing, especially in small items such as Pinkie Mice.
FRM begin to thaw at -4C, well below the thawing point of Water Ice.