Why is Best Quality Food a must?
Most of us understand the need to feed ourselves good quality food and water. For pet reptiles, their need for good quality food and water is the same.
Poor quality foods can often be related to poor weight gains, calcium or vitamin deficiencies, and can even lead to bacterial, fungal or even viral infections that can cost big dollars to fix. Ensuring good quality food supply should be one of the first jobs undertaken by a reptile owner.
When considering what brand or type of food to feed your reptile, consideration should be given to the following:
- Where is it produced? Is it produced in clean and sanitary conditions that show respect to you and your pet reptile’s needs?
- How is it produced? Is it produced in an ethical and safe way, using the best diets, beddings and disinfectants available?
- Could it be contaminated with unwanted chemicals or residues? Collecting bugs in the garden is a very cheap food, but is it safe? Are the veggies you are feeding washed and free from residues or chemicals?
- If frozen, how is it stored and transported to ensure frozen status? Has it been thawed and refrozen, almost guaranteeing a lower nutritional value or even a reluctance of the reptile to eat it?
- With respect to live insects, how are they transported and kept to ensure strong and healthy animals? Do they have sufficient food and water? Are they maintained at an appropriate temperature?
- Does the brand of food come with a guarantee?